Iowa Works for Dislocated Workers

Iowa WorksThis program is for those who have lost their job through a business closing, downsizing or layoff and are unlikely to return to their previous industry or occupation.

Homemakers needing jobs . . . people who have been unemployed for a long time . . . and those who were formerly self-employed who have closed down their business may also qualify for help.

When you come into your nearest Iowa Works office, a friendly representative of our Membership Group will welcome you, help you fill out an unemployment claim if appropriate, and work with you to discover just what your individual situation is.

Once we discover where you fit in within the job market, your Membership Group representative will give you a packet of information tailored to your needs:

  • Employment Express. If it is determined that you are ready to enter or get back into the job market immediately, you will receive an Employment Express packet. It gives you information about the current job market, describes available jobs and provides other information that will help you with your job search.
  • Career Development. Maybe you need some help or training before you try the job market again. The Career Development packet gives you information on workshops you can attend that will help you get ready to reenter the job market. The workshops include Computer Skills, Financial Management, Job Interview Skills, and Resume Writing. You may attend one or more of these workshops at no cost to you.
  • Career Advancement. This packet is for people who are ready to move up to a better job. It includes information about Jobs in High Demand, Educational Opportunities, Career Information Websites and more. And it tells you about training opportunities that can help you improve your skills and prepare for employment advancement. The packet provides a calendar of workshops you can attend at our Iowa Works centers.

To be eligible for Dislocated Worker services, you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Registered with the Selective Service, if applicable, and
  • A citizen or national of the United States, a lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, a lawfully admitted refugee or parolee, or an individual authorized by the Attorney General to work in the United States.

How to Apply

To apply for the Dislocated Worker program, call 515-281-9700 or toll-free 1-800-845-9013. Or visit the Iowa Works office nearest you. For a list of office locations, click here.