Iowa Works for Adult Workers

This program is for Central Iowa adults who fit one of these descriptions:

  • you meet low-income guidelines
  • or you may be receiving food stamps or other forms of public assistance
  • or perhaps you have a disability that has made it difficult to find employment
  • or you have not graduated from high school and/or lack certain basic skills, perhaps including reading and writing English.

When you come into your nearest Iowa Works office, a friendly representative of our Membership Group will welcome you, help you fill out an unemployment claim if appropriate, and work with you to discover just what your individual situation is.

Once we discover where you fit in within the job market, your Membership Group representative will give you one of three packets of information:

  • Employment Express. If it is determined that you are ready to enter or get back into the job market immediately, you’ll receive an Employment Express packet. It has information about the current job market, describes available jobs and provides other information that will help you with your job search.
  • Career Development. This packet gives you information on a series of workshops you can attend that will help you get ready to reenter the job market. The workshops include Computer Skills, Financial Management, Job Interview Skills, and Resume Writing. You may attend one or more of these workshops at no cost to you.
  • Career Advancement. This packet is for people who are ready to move up to a better job than the one they’ve had in the past. The Career Advancement packet includes information about Jobs in High Demand, Educational Opportunities, Career Information Websites and more. And it gives you information on training opportunities to help you improve your skills and prepare for employment advancement. The packet provides a calendar of workshops you can attend at our Iowa Works centers.

To be eligible for Adult Worker services from Iowa Works—you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Registered with the Selective Service, if applicable, and
  • A citizen or national of the United States, a lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, a lawfully admitted refugee or parolee, or an individual authorized by the Attorney General to work in the United States.

How to Apply
To apply for the Adult Worker program, call 515-281-9700 or toll-free 1-800-845-9013. Or visit the Iowa Works office nearest you. (For a list of office locations, click here.)